Reminders- Always turn out the clubhouse lights and the outdoor court lights if you are the last one on the courts. Lights were recently left on in the clubhouse from about 5 pm Saturday to 8 am Sunday with no one on the courts! Also, be sure to close the bubble vents when you leave the courts. Finally, if you take advantage of bottled water from the refrigerator in the clubhouse, please sign up for your purchase.
The AITA (Acton Bubble) is a non-profit club, run by the members for the members. We are entering our 50th year. We have:
The Acton Bubble offers both indoor memberships (October - April) and summer memberships (May - September). Summer membership includes access to our four clay courts as well as our two indoor courts when weather does not permit outdoor play.
Club Mixed Double Tournament
Sunday June 10th we hosted our second annual Fast4 mixed-doubles tournament. Again fun was had by all!
Fast4 scoring goes like this: A match is 2 out of 3 sets where a set goes to 4 games with a 5-point “sudden-death” tiebreaker at 3-all. Scoring is no-ad and a 7-point tiebreaker is played in lieu of a 3rd set.
Watch for more fun events like this!!
If the bubble does last long enough, the board will be able to contemplate spending money on some improvements needed at the club. One is to refurbish the locker rooms, which will likely also entail replacement of some the clubhouse’s very old plumbing. Another is tearing up and replacing the indoor hard courts, which are showing their age in the form of too many “dead spots.” Let us know if you have a strong preference for one or the other of these projects to be done first (and make a wish for a long-lived bubble!)
Planned or Completed Improvements
We are also planning or have made some less-expensive changes at the club:
· Installing a web camera inside the bubble so we can more easily monitor it during snow storms.
· Replacing the outdoor sprinkler controls with a web-enabled “smart” controller that will give us more flexibility in our watering schedule and in turning the watering on and off remotely.
· Purchasing a new snow blower and building or buying a small shed in which to store it.
· Installing a timer for the outdoor lights to make sure they aren’t left on all night.
· Making an enclosure for the materials stored in back of Court 1 and generally improving the “lost-ball” situation back there.
· Modifying the fence between the bubble and Courts A and B to reduce the build-up of snow and prevent the creation of the ice wall that has appeared in recent years on the bubble’s back wall.
Are things looking brighter?
This week all the light in the bubble have replaced with new LED lights. This is all part of the energy saver program with our electric provider. Enjoy!
Did you know?
The club now has WiFi connection for its members? Check out the bulletin board at the club for details!